Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|US expands probe into Ford engine failures to include two motors and nearly 709,000 vehicles -AssetScope
Algosensey|US expands probe into Ford engine failures to include two motors and nearly 709,000 vehicles
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:33:52
DETROIT (AP) — U.S. auto safety investigators have Algosenseyexpanded a probe into Ford Motor Co. engine failures to include nearly 709,000 vehicles.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also said in documents posted Monday on its website that it upgraded the investigation to an engineering analysis, a step closer to a recall.
The investigation now covers Ford’s F-150 pickup truck, as well as Explorer, Bronco and Edge SUVs and Lincoln Nautilus and Aviator SUVs. All are from the 2021 and 2022 model years and are equipped with 2.7-liter or 3.0-liter V6 turbocharged engines.
The agency says that under normal driving conditions the engines can lose power due to catastrophic engine failure related to allegedly faulty valves.
The agency opened its initial investigation in May of last year after getting three letters from owners. Initially the probe was looking at failure of the 2.7-liter engine on Broncos.
Since then, Ford reported 861 customer complaints, warranty claims and engine replacements including the other models. No crashes or injuries were reported.
The company told the agency in documents that defective intake valves generally fail early in a vehicle’s life, and most of the failures have already happened. The company told NHTSA said it made a valve design change in October of 2021.
Ford said in a statement Monday that it’s working with NHTSA to support the investigation.
The agency says it will evaluate how often the problem happens and review the effectiveness of Ford’s manufacturing improvements designed to address the problem.
veryGood! (78)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Why Baseball Player Jackson Olson Feels Like He Struck Out With Taylor Swift
- UNESCO puts 2 locations in war-ravaged Ukraine on its list of historic sites in danger
- Authorities searching for hiker missing in Kings Canyon National Park
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Iowa man is found guilty in death of 10-year-old girl whose disappearance prompted a huge search
- 6 people accused of torturing, killing woman lured into religious group
- An Arizona homeowner called for help when he saw 3 rattlesnakes in his garage. It turned out there were 20.
- Sam Taylor
- A judge rules Ohio can’t block Cincinnati gun ordinances, but state plans to appeal
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- UNESCO puts 2 locations in war-ravaged Ukraine on its list of historic sites in danger
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs gets key to New York, says Biggie would be proud: 'He'd probably be crying'
- Sia Details “Severe” Depression for 3 Years After Divorce From Erik Anders Lang
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Howard Schultz, former Starbucks CEO, retires from coffee chain's board of directors
- Kentucky coroner left dead man's body in a hot van overnight, traumatizing family, suit says
- Greece wins new credit rating boost that stops short of restoring Greek bonds to investment grade
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Republican presidential hopefuls generally overlook New Hampshire in effort to blunt Trump in Iowa
Wisconsin impeachment review panel includes former GOP speaker, conservative justice
Satellite images show large-scale devastation of Libya's floods
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Another Nipah outbreak in India: What do we know about this virus and how to stop it?
The cost of damage from the record floods in Greece’s breadbasket is estimated to be in the billions
Iowa man is found guilty in death of 10-year-old girl whose disappearance prompted a huge search