Current:Home > MyHalf of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve -AssetScope
Half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 14:28:58
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — The separatist government of Nagorno-Karabakh announced Thursday that it will dissolve itself and the unrecognized republic will cease to exist by the end of the year, and Armenian officials said more than half of the population has already fled.
That is after Azerbaijan carried out a lightning offensive to reclaim full control over its breakaway region and demanded that Armenian troops in Nagorno-Karabakh lay down their weapons and the separatist government dissolve itself.
A decree to that effect was signed by the region’s separatist President Samvel Shakhramanyan. The document cited an agreement reached last week to end the fighting under which Azerbaijan will allow the “free, voluntary and unhindered movement” of Nagorno-Karabakh residents and disarm troops in Armenia in exchange.
Nagorno-Karabakh is a region of Azerbaijan that came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of the region along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
Following the latest offensive and a cease-fire agreement brokered by Russian peacekeepers, Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh separatist authorities have begun talks on “reintegrating” the region back into Azerbaijan. Azerbaijani authorities have pledged to respect the rights of ethnic Armenians in the region and restore supplies after a 10-month blockade. Many local residents, however, fear reprisals and have decided to leave for Armenia.
By Thursday morning, more than half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — over 65,000 people — had fled to Armenia, according to Armenian officials.
The massive exodus began on Sunday evening, and the only road linking Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia quickly filled up with cars that created an hourslong traffic jam. On Monday night, a fuel reservoir exploded at a gas station where people seeking to leave were lining up for gas that due to the blockade had been in short supply. At least 68 people were killed and nearly 300 injured, with over 100 more still considered missing.
It isn’t immediately clear if any of the ethnic Armenians that have populated the region will remain there. Shakhramayan’s decree on Thursday urged Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — including those who left — “to familiarize themselves with the conditions of reintegration offered by the Republic of Azerbaijan, in order to then make an individual decision about the possibility of staying in (or returning to) Nagorno-Karabakh.”
___
Ethnic Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh comfort a young woman upon arriving to Kornidzor in Syunik region, Armenia, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023. (AP Photo/Vasily Krestyaninov)
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Buttigieg scolds railroads for not doing more to improve safety since Ohio derailment
- Massachusetts governor appeals denial of federal disaster aid for flooding
- Climate, a major separator for Biden and Trump, is a dividing line in many other races, too
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Proof Brittany and Patrick Mahomes' 2 Kids Were the MVPs of Their Family Vacation
- Gerrit Cole MRI: Results of elbow exam will frame New York Yankees' hopes for 2024
- The Best Easter Basket Gifts for Kids, Teens & Adults (That’s Not Candy)
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Elle King breaks silence about drunken Dolly Parton tribute concert: 'My human was showing'
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Netanyahu dismisses Biden's warning over innocent lives being lost in Israel's war with Hamas in Gaza
- The Daily Money: Trader Joe's tote goes viral
- Wisconsin Republicans fire eight more Evers appointees, including regents and judicial watchdogs
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Equal education, unequal pay: Why is there still a gender pay gap in 2024?
- Reputed gang leader acquitted of murder charge after 3rd trial in Connecticut
- Trump, in reversal, opposes TikTok ban, calls Facebook enemy of the people
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Gerrit Cole MRI: Results of elbow exam will frame New York Yankees' hopes for 2024
Jamie Lee Curtis Shares Glimpse at Everything Everywhere All at Once Reunion at 2024 Oscars
Mississippi Senate votes to change control of Jackson’s troubled water system
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
The View's Whoopi Goldberg Defends Kate Middleton Over Photo Controversy
Texans are acquiring running back Joe Mixon from the Bengals, AP source says
David Mixner, LGBTQ+ activist and Bill Clinton campaign advisor, dies at 77