Current:Home > ContactMaryland apologizes to man wrongly convicted of murder, agrees to pay $340,000 settlement: "Long overdue" -AssetScope
Maryland apologizes to man wrongly convicted of murder, agrees to pay $340,000 settlement: "Long overdue"
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 13:22:47
A man wrongly convicted of two separate violent crimes will be compensated by the state of Maryland after spending years behind bars, including over a year after he had been proven innocent.
A Maryland board approved more than $340,000 for a settlement on Wednesday in compensation for Demetrius Smith who was wrongly convicted of murder and first-degree assault and spent more than five years in prison.
Gov. Wes Moore, who chairs the three-member Board of Public Works, apologized to Smith before the board approved the settlement, noting that it's been more than a decade since his release in 2013.
"We're here today more than 10 years after he was released from incarceration, providing Mr. Smith with long overdue justice that he was deprived of, an apology from the state of Maryland that until today he's never received," Moore told Smith, who attended the hearing in person.
Smith was 25 in 2008 when he was wrongfully charged with murder.
Gov. Moore noted that at Smith's bail hearing, the judge said the case before him was "probably the thinnest case" he had ever seen. But, Moore said, "the prosecution was determined to press forward, relying on testimony from a witness who was later found to have not even been at the scene of the crime."
Less than two months after his arrest, while on bail, Smith was arrested and taken into custody for first-degree assault. Once again, the prosecution relied on witnesses who later recanted their testimony, the governor said.
In 2010, Smith was convicted and sentenced to life in prison, plus 18 years. In 2011, he entered an Alford plea for the assault charge, maintaining his innocence. Moore said Smith entered the plea after losing faith in the criminal justice system. Under an Alford plea, the defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges the likelihood of a conviction if the case went to trial.
In 2011, the Maryland U.S. attorney's office charged the person who was actually responsible for the murder, and Smith's innocence was proven. But he still spent another year and a half in prison, the governor said. It wasn't until 2012 that the state finally dropped the murder conviction.
In May 2013, Smith petitioned the court to revisit his Alford plea for the assault charge, and his sentence was modified to time served, plus three years probation, which was later reduced to probation.
"I am deeply sorry for the fact that our justice system failed you not once, but our justice system failed you twice, and while no amount of money can make up for what was taken from you, the action this board is taking today represents a formal acknowledgment from the state for the injustice that was caused," Moore told Smith.
- In:
- Wrongful Convictions
- Maryland
veryGood! (44379)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Olivia Munn, 43, reveals breast cancer, double mastectomy: What to know about the disease
- Can smelling candles actually make you sick?
- Georgia school voucher bill narrowly clears longtime obstacle with state House passage
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Horoscopes Today, March 14, 2024
- Top Democrat Schumer calls for new elections in Israel, saying Netanyahu has ‘lost his way’
- College swimmers, volleyball players sue NCAA over transgender policies
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Dean McDermott Shares Insight Into Ex Tori Spelling’s Bond With His New Girlfriend Lily Calo
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Arkansas’ elimination of ‘X’ as option for sex on licenses and IDs endorsed by GOP lawmakers
- Get a $78 Anthropologie Pullover for $18, 25% off T3 Hair Tools, $800 off Avocado Organic Mattress & More
- Florida woman found dead on cruise ship, Bahamas police say
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Massachusetts Senate passes bill to make child care more affordable
- *NSYNC Reunites for Surprise Performance at Los Angeles Concert
- North Carolina labor chief rejects infectious disease rule petitions for workplaces
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Esa-Pekka Salonen to leave San Francisco Symphony, citing dispute with orchestra’s board
Kelly Clarkson and Peyton Manning to Host Opening Ceremony for 2024 Paris Olympics
Esa-Pekka Salonen to leave San Francisco Symphony, citing dispute with orchestra’s board
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Number of Americans filing for jobless benefits remains low as labor market continues to thrive
A critical Rhode Island bridge will need to be demolished and replaced
AP Week in Pictures: North America