Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Trump posts $175 million bond in New York fraud case -AssetScope
TrendPulse|Trump posts $175 million bond in New York fraud case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 12:44:47
Former President Donald Trump and TrendPulseco-defendants in his New York civil fraud case have posted a bond of $175 million, according to a court filing Monday by an insurance company.
The posting brings to an end a six-week ordeal in which Trump scrambled to fend off possible seizure of property or assets stemming from a $464 million judgment by a judge who found he gained hundreds of millions through a yearslong fraud scheme targeting banks and insurers. Trump was required to post bond to avoid enforcement of the judgment pending his appeal.
Alina Habba, an attorney for Trump, said Trump's payment was made "as promised."
"He looks forward to vindicating his rights on appeal and overturning this unjust verdict," Habba said.
The bond was lowered by an appellate court from the $464 million figure to $175 million on March 25, hours after Trump missed a grace period deadline extended by New York Attorney General Letitia James, whose office brought the case.
A spokesperson for James declined to comment. James had indicated her office would pursue Trump's assets if he failed to post bond.
"If he does not have funds to pay off the judgment, then we will seek judgment enforcement mechanisms in court, and we will ask the judge to seize his assets," she said during a February interview with ABC News.
Attorneys for Trump wrote in a March 18 filing in the case that it was a "practical impossibility" for the defendants to secure the original, near half-billion dollar bond. They said he had been turned down by over 30 surety companies.
"Very few bonding companies will consider a bond of anything approaching that magnitude," wrote the lawyers, Alina Habba, Clifford Robert, Christopher Kise and John Sauer. They noted that surety providers often require collateral up to 120% to guarantee the bond, driving the amount Trump might need over $500 million.
That filing, made on March 18, listed more than 30 companies the Trump Organization said it approached seeking the larger bond, all of whom declined. The one that ultimately provided Monday's $175 million bond, Knight Specialty Insurance Company, was not on that list.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Back for Season 2, 'Dark Winds' is a cop drama steeped in Navajo culture
- My Best Buy memberships get you exclusive deals and perks—learn more here
- You can finally pre-order the new Samsung Galaxy Watch 6 and save up to $250 via trade-in
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Horoscopes Today, July 28, 2023
- Women’s World Cup Guide: Results, schedule and how to watch
- Weighted infant sleepwear is meant to help babies rest better. Critics say it's risky
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- How to protect yourself from heat: 4 experts tips to keep you and your family cool
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Buckle up: New laws from seat belts to library books take effect in North Dakota
- Peanuts for infants, poopy beaches and summer pet safety in our news roundup
- The Strength and Vitality of the Red Lipstick, According to Hollywood's Most Trusted Makeup Artists
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Stick to your back-to-school budget with $250 off the 2020 Apple MacBook Air at Amazon
- All the Celebrities Who Have a Twin You Didn't Know About
- Tornado damage to Pfizer factory highlights vulnerabilities of drug supply
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend listening and viewing
Tornado damage to Pfizer factory highlights vulnerabilities of drug supply
Rest in Power: Celebrities react to the death of Sinéad O'Connor
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Morocco’s Benzina is first woman to compete in hijab at World Cup since FIFA ban lifted
C.J. Gardner-Johnson returns to Detroit Lions practice, not that (he thinks) he ever left
The Strength and Vitality of the Red Lipstick, According to Hollywood's Most Trusted Makeup Artists