Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Hawaiian Electric lost two-thirds of its value after Maui wildfires. And it might not be over yet, analysts say -AssetScope
Indexbit-Hawaiian Electric lost two-thirds of its value after Maui wildfires. And it might not be over yet, analysts say
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 14:38:53
Hawaiian Electric stocks have plummeted more than two-thirds since the Maui wildfires last week that killed at least 114 people and destroyed the historic town of Lahaina.
Shares jumped about 14% on Friday after Hawaiian Electric filed a report with the SEC saying the utility is seeking advice from experts and the company "intends to be here [Hawaii] for the long term, through the rebuilding effort and beyond."
But analysts don't think the jump in stock price will last.
"There is a great deal of legal uncertainty at this point," Wells Fargo analyst Jonathan Reeder told CBS News. "The prospects of Hawaiian Electric avoiding liability appear highly unlikely, in our opinion, based on the extent of the devastation, Hawaii's liability standard and the way similar wildfire events have played out in other Western U.S. states," Reeder said.
On Thursday, Wells Fargo analysts issued a report saying that the state's primary power company is essentially worth zero dollars – pointing to the increasing death toll, property damage, pain and suffering in Maui.
Hawaiian Electric set a stock price of $8 down from about $17.68 the previous week, and analysts wrote that "economic losses are likely well into the billions of dollars, far exceeding the utility's pre-wildfire equity value."
While the cause of the fires has not yet been determined, investigators are looking into whether downed power lines and decisions by Hawaiian Electric played a role, and claims that the utility did not implement precautionary safety measures to reduce wildfire risks have surfaced. A spokesperson for Maui Electric told CBS News in a statement that some steps were taken to mitigate the possibility of fires sparking before hurricane winds arrived.
The investigation could take months or even years to conclude, Wells Fargo analysts wrote in a report dated Aug. 16, and the extent of HE's insurance coverage likely pales in comparison to potential liabilities.
California utility company PG&E filed for bankruptcy in 2019 after it paid out about $25.5 billion for its role in wildfires in 2017 and 2018 caused by downed power lines. PG&E paid about $13.5 billion to wildfire victims following lawsuits and claims the utility's equipment sparked what is now the most destructive wildfire in California history.
Emily Mae Czachor and the Associated Press contributed reporting
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
Cara Tabachnick is a news editor for CBSNews.com. Contact her at [email protected]
veryGood! (181)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Police arrest 75-year-old man suspected of raping, killing woman in 1973 cold case
- 4 children shot in Minneapolis shooting that police chief is calling ‘outrageous’
- The Most Unsettling Moments From Scott Peterson's Face to Face Prison Interviews
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Why Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy told players' agents to stop 'asking for more money'
- How Nevada aims to increase vocational education
- PHOTO COLLECTION: DNC Preparations
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- When does the college football season start? Just a few days from now
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Budget-Friendly Back-to-School Makeup Picks Under $25
- Dolphins’ Tagovailoa says McDaniel built him up after Flores tore him down as young NFL quarterback
- New surveys show signs of optimism among small business owners
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- South Carolina sheriff who told deputy to shock inmate is found not guilty in civil rights case
- Tech Magnate Mike Lynch and Daughter Among 6 People Missing After Yacht Sinks Off Sicily Coast
- Budget-Friendly Back-to-School Makeup Picks Under $25
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
'DWTS' 2018 winner Bobby Bones agrees with Julianne Hough on his subpar dancing skills
Barry Keoghan Snuggles Up With His “Charmer” Son Brando, 2, in Rare Photo
Alabama sets November date for third nitrogen execution
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
1,600 gallons of firefighting chemicals containing PFAS are released in Maine
Parents of Texas school shooter found not liable in 2018 rampage that left 10 dead
Bama Rush: Recruits celebrate sorority fanfare with 2024 Bid Day reveals