Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Judge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert -AssetScope
NovaQuant-Judge dismisses lawsuits filed against rapper Drake over deadly Astroworld concert
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 17:08:35
HOUSTON (AP) — Hip-hop artist Drake has been dismissed from a lawsuit over the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival in Houston in which 10 people were killed,NovaQuant a judge has ruled.
Drake was a special guest of rap superstar Travis Scott, who had headlined the festival. He performed with Scott at the end of the concert on Nov. 5, 2021, as the crowd surged and attendees were packed so tightly that many could not breathe or move their arms or legs. Authorities and festival organizers were trying to shut down the show.
The families of the 10 people who died during the concert, as well as hundreds who were injured, sued Drake, Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities.
Many of those who were sued, including Drake and Scott, have asked state District Judge Kristen Hawkins to dismiss the lawsuits against them. On Wednesday, Hawkins dismissed Drake from the case in a brief order.
Lawyers for Drake, whose full name is Aubrey Drake Graham, had argued during a court hearing April 1 in Houston that he was not involved in putting the concert together so was not liable for the deaths and injuries that had occurred.
During a deposition he gave in November in Toronto, the Canadian rapper said in the moments before he took the stage, no one told him that people in the crowd were suffering cardiac arrests or other injuries. He said when he was on stage, the crowd looked like a blur and he couldn’t make out any details.
In the deposition, Drake was shown a video that the youngest victim, 9-year-old Ezra Blount, took as he sat on his father’s shoulders.
“Do you see the panic in those people’s eyes?” an attorney asked Drake about the video.
“I do, sir,” the rapper responded.
Later, when asked by an attorney for Blount’s family about whether it would be important for him to hear from those who put the concert together about why Blount died, Drake said, “I think I would want answers for what happened, yes.”
On Monday, Hawkins dismissed seven companies and individual people who had been sued. But she denied motions to dismiss that were filed by 10 other companies and individuals, including Apple Inc., which produced a livestream of the concert, and two companies associated with Scott. Hawkins was set to hear other motions to dismiss, including one related to Scott as an individual, on Monday.
Following an investigation by Houston Police, no charges were filed against Scott. A grand jury in June declined to indict him and five other people on any criminal counts related to the deadly concert. Police Chief Troy Finner declined to say what was the overall conclusion of his agency’s investigation.
In July, the police department made public its nearly 1,300-page investigative report in which festival workers highlighted problems and warned of possible deadly consequences.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
The first trial from the lawsuits is scheduled for May 6.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of four of the people killed during the concert. The most recent settlement related to a person who was killed was announced in court filings on Feb. 5, with lawyers for the family of 23-year-old Rodolfo “Rudy” Peña saying they had settled their case.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (69879)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Racing Icon Scott Bloomquist Dead at 60 After Plane Crash
- Arizona, Nevada and Mexico will lose same amount of Colorado River water next year as in 2024
- 'Alien' movies ranked definitively (yes, including 'Romulus')
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- When might LeBron and Bronny play their first Lakers game together?
- Saturday Night Live Alum Victoria Jackson Shares She Has Inoperable Tumor Amid Cancer Battle
- Nevada gaming regulators accuse Resorts World casino of accommodating illegal gambling
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- 10 service members injured, airlifted after naval training incident in Nevada: Reports
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How Lubbock artists pushed back after the city ended funding for its popular art walk
- Does Micellar Water Work As Dry Shampoo? I Tried the TikTok Hack and These Are My Results
- BeatKing, a Houston rapper known for viral TikTok song ‘Then Leave,’ dies at 39
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Watch as the 1,064-HP 2025 Chevy Corvette ZR1 rips to 205 MPH
- New California laws aim to reduce smash-and-grab robberies, car thefts and shoplifting
- BeatKing, Houston Rapper Also Known as Club Godzilla, Dead at 39
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Alaska State Troopers beat, stunned and used dog in violent arrest of wrong man, charges say
IOC gives Romania go-ahead to award gymnast Ana Barbosu bronze medal after CAS ruling
Babe Ruth jersey could sell for record-breaking $30 million at auction
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
BeatKing, a Houston rapper known for viral TikTok song ‘Then Leave,’ dies at 39
10 service members injured, airlifted after naval training incident in Nevada: Reports
Prominent 2020 election denier seeks GOP nod for Michigan Supreme Court race